Staying motivated in lockdown 3.0
Your feeling sluggish, the gyms have closed, lockdown 3.0 is here and it’s so damn cold outside. Not to mention you might now have the kids at home, furloughed or under more pressure at work than ever.
No wonder motivation is low.
So how can you keep yourself motivated when you don’t have the normal structure of gym, classes, work etc.
Thanks to the last two lockdowns in 2020, and the change in our routines over the last year (nearly) this time we are more prepared.
Here are some ways to keep healthy, active and fit when your stuck at home.
- Find a friend. You can still exercise with a friend even in lockdown. The rules state you can exercise with someone outside your household 1 on 1. So meet each other for a run, or go online and exercise together there. You can set up a WhatsApp group and motivate each other to exercise.
- Set a reminder on your phone. Setting reminders to exercise or even just move can remind you to take exercise breaks. Sitting at a laptop all day can cause stiffness, back ache and poor postural habits. Setting a reminder each hour to go get a drink or do some stretches can help keep you more active when we are all sitting down a lot more.
- Short of time? You can do exercises when watching Tv, waiting for the kettle to boil or get up a little earlier than usual to squeeze a few minutes if exercise in.
- Get some fresh air. Being stuck in all day isn’t very motivating but once you get out and clear your head you will feel refreshed. If it’s raining put on a raincoat and a cap and go for a power walk. Don’t let the weather get the better of you.
- Drink more water. We can often feel tired or hungry when we thirsty. When we feel thirsty you are already dehydrated. With the heating being on and sat down for a long time you can forget to drink. We should all aim for 1.5-2litres a day. Use a water bottle (500ml for example) and aim to drink and fill it till you have consumed 1.5-2litres.
- Set realistic goals. If you set unrealistic goals you won’t reach them and lose motivation quicker. Set small achievable goals. Find ways to keep your fitness routine going to achieve these goals.
- Try and keep a schedule and track your progress. If you don’t track your progress how do you know if your reach your goals. Tracking workouts, food, emotions etc is something I love to do as it’s great to look back and see how far you have come. Or even what you need to change as progress isn’t being achieved.
- Keep a schedule. If your off and not working. Set an alarm to get you up. Eat breakfast, exercise etc. Don’t just sit around doing nothing. Your waste time and a really good opportunity to work on your goals and have some you time. Lying in and getting out of a routine is going to make is so much harder to motivate yourself and cause further problems down the line. Stay motivated with a morning routine to wake you up. Make sure to stretch each day too.
As always if anyone needs any help or guidance please feel free to contact me firstname.lastname@example.org