Healthy Eating tips
1. Eat 80% of what you normally eat slowly, wait 20mins then see if you are still hungry.
Your stomach takes 20mins to let the brain know it is full. By chewing slowly, you will feel fuller as you are paying more attention to what you are eating and taste more.
2. Change your orange juice to water with lemon or infused water.
Orange juice and other fruit juices can contain a lot of sugars and calories. Hydrate properly with water.
3. Eat breakfast.
By eating breakfast, you rev up your metabolism and fill you up till lunch time. This makes mid-morning snacks less likely and you will be less likely to eat more at lunchtime. It will also fuel your brain and body for those crucial morning hours of meetings or gym workouts.
4. Reach for carrot sticks or fruit over sugary or savoury snacks. This will save over 100 calories a day which is 700 calories a week at least, which is 10lbs a year. Have carrot, apple or cucumber sticks over crisps, chocolate and bakery items.
5. Plan your meals. Don’t let the food cupboards go empty or you will be looking for your nearest quick fix. Have a meal planner so you know exactly what to eat at mealtimes, making it less likely for you to order a takeaway or not eat. By having the food in the house to make these recipes will make it a lot easier after a long day at work. Even better cook a bulk load at the weekend and freeze meals for the rest of the week.
6. Go to the supermarket with a list and make sure you are not hungry. If you’re hungry you may be drawn to quick fixes which won’t be the healthiest. Or worse you do not have a list and go for more convenience foods, forgetting the meals you had planned for the week.
7. Have half your plate full of veggies or salad. Getting your greens in and allowing unlimited salad will help to bulk out the meal and make you feel fuller, but with a lot less calories.
8. Grill don not fry. Having grilled meats is a healthy way to cook and saves the fat and calories of fried versions.
9. Have lean meats like turkey and chicken over fattier meats like beef and pork. Not only are the going healthier they will save you calories and contain less saturated fat.
10. Drink plenty of water. Avoid fizzy drinks like coke and lemonade as these contain a lot of sweeteners and sugars. Drinking 2 litres of water a day will hydrate you a lot better than sugary caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee and juices. Hydration is important for good hair skin and health.