How to make life long changes to healthier eating
- Don’t go on a diet. Just make a change to eat more nourishing foods and limit less nutrient rich foods.
- Think long term not short term. This is a change for the future not for the short term. This change becomes you.
- Stop thinking all or nothing. Healthy eating is a permanent change. Diets are short term and you can never stick to it. So you end up yo yo dieting. So does your weight. You can eat all foods nothing is off limits. Think about being good at being consistent and not consistently good. You can have the treats (in moderation). Perfection isn’t what we are aiming for.
- Mental relationship with food. Focus on eating to feel a certain way (confident in clothes, more energy, better skin, sexy etc) not eating to make you feel better when upset or stressed. The foods you choose when you are emotionally stressed will be calorific and nutritionally lacking.
- You can change your eating habits and reach your goals without dieting….but because it requires patience and consistency people give up.
- Food is fuel. It is to nourish you. Eating healthy helps you increase your energy, sex drive, feel great about yourself and live longer.
- Don’t ban foods. E.g chocolate. You will crave them more if you ban foods. So allow yourself and you will find your consume less, won’t dream/think about it all the time (like on a diet) and be happier to limit intake.
- If you don’t like the taste of healthy food then learn how to make it tastier for you. There are loads of recipes and help online. If you get takeaways because you hate or can’t cook. Learn. Think homemade curries, Chinese, stir fries, vegan burgers, bean chilli etc.