Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of deaths globally with 17.9millions deaths each year. That’s a statistic from Oxford university in jan 2021.
Smoking, drinking and having a high BMI makes people less likely to exercise and more at risk from cardiovascular disease.
Whether you choose to exercise low, moderately or intensely for your cardio, the benefits are many.
Cardio can be broken down into smaller chunks if you can’t manage a longer duration e.g 3×10-15mins instead of 30-45min. You can do low intensity steady state (LISS) training or HIIT (high intensity interval training).
- Circulation – the increase of blood flow can help to improve complexion, improve joints and muscles.
- Diabetes – cardio training can help you maintain blood sugar levels. Cardio training decreases stress on the vital pancreas organ and reduces your chance of developing type 2 diabetes. It also helps improves good cholesterol levels while lowering blood fats.
- Sex life – better fitness levels improve sex drive and makes you more confident. It decreases erectile dysfunction in male and increases arousal in women.
- Increase lung function – cardiovascular exercise increases lung strength and function. Creating more air sacs (alveoli) to make oxygen consumption easier, helping you get fitter quicker.
- Emotions – cardio vascular exercise helps with mental health, our mood and stabilising out emotions. Who doesn’t feel amazing after a marathon? A hiit session?
- Sleep – better sleep and duration is improved with cardio. Making you more energised for the day and helping you to get to sleep in the evenings. Try not to workout at least two hours before bed time. That way your not buzzing from your spinning class when your supposed to be winding down.
- Increase in heart health. Big benefits for the ticker. Some being lower cholesterol, stronger heart, lower resting heart rate, decrease in blood pressure and
- Weight management – cardio exercise can help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight through the calories it burns. Coupled with a good diet it can help you feel good and look great.
- Strengthens immune system – an increase in certain antibodies in the blood was found by researches from people who regularly did moderate exercise. This strengthens the immune system. In sedentary people high levels of cortisol can be found and this leads to a decrease in immune function in some.
- Affordable and accessible. Kids, adults and elderly can do cardio. It’s free and can be equipment free. It can be done in all weathers and done solo or with someone.
There are many other benefits to cardiovascular exercise. For some ideas on what exercises you can do see below.
Running, cycling, walking, tennis, hiking, hiit class, xtrainer in gym, rowing, aqua aerobics, spinning, swimming and many more.